- To discover how long ago dinosaurs lived.
- To discover what a time line is.
- To discover the difference between eras and periods.
- To discover the era of the dinosaurs.
- To discover the periods of the dinosaurs.
- To discover the era of today.
- Discussion of time line.
- Use example of a student’s life on board (date of birth through present day), label any special events student had.
- Discuss that Earth has a time line.
- Introduce Earth’s time line on board (starting date through present day).
- Divide into 2 eras (Mesozoic & Cenozoic) and the Mesozoic into 3 periods (Triassic, Jurassic, & Cretaceous), include dates.
- Compare time line of Earth to calendar to summarize.
- The Magic School Bus In the Time of the Dinosaurs by Joann Cole.