- To discover what a fossil is.
- To discover how a dinosaur becomes a fossil.
- To discover the 5 types of fossils.
- Discuss what a fossil is and how a dinosaur became a fossil.
- Name the 5 types of fossils.
- Divide the class into 5 groups, and have each group make 1 type of fossil using a flour, salt and water mixture.
- Make step books describing each step of how a dinosaur became a fossil.
- The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs by Joann Cole.
- To discover what jobs are involved in digging up fossils.
- To discover what is involved with each job.
- Read Digging Up Fossils to the class.
- Discuss the different jobs and what is involved to do them.
- Have students choose a job and explain why they want to do that job.
- Make a graph showing the number of students who chose each job.
- Digging Up Dinosaurs by Aliki.