- To discover what paleontology is.
- To discover what a paleontology does.
- To discover how a paleontologist digs up fossils.
- To discover what tools a paleontologist uses to dig up fossils.
- Show video on how a paleontologist digs up fossils.
- Discuss who a paleontologist is and how he/she digs up fossils.
- Have students individually extract chocolate chips (the fossils) out of a cookie (the rock) using only a toothpick and a paintbrush.
- Video A Magical Field Trip to the Dinosaur Museum.
- To discover how dinosaur bones fit together.
- To discover how a paleontologist knows how to put dinosaur bones together.
- Show video that discusses putting dinosaur skeletons together.
- Students draw the shape of any dinosaur on two pieces of paper (a regular white sheet and a heavy white sheet).
- On regular white sheet, students make the skin of dinosaur using textures underneath (sandpaper, wall, etc.).
- On heavy white sheet, students make a dinosaur skeleton using chicken bones.
- Staple the skin on top of the bones so it can flip up to view the bones.
- Video How Big Were the Dinosaurs.