- To discover how the dinosaurs were found on different continents.
- To discover what Pangaea is.
- To discover continental drift is.
- Show overhead of fossil sites and discuss.
- Explain that continents fit together like puzzle to form one land mass called Pangaea.
- Break class into cooperative groups to do continental drift experiment.
- Each group gets worksheets, pan of water, and circle cut to four equal pieces (representing the continents).
- Have students carefully place the 4 “continent” pieces on TOP of the water (they cannot be submerged or the experiment will not work).
- Go around and place a drop of dish liquid in the center of the pieces (they should “drift” apart).
- Have students write down conclusions on worksheets and share to summarize.
- Overhead from A Guide for using The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs in the Classroom by Teacher Created Resources.
- Dinosaurs for Every Kid by Janice VanCleave.