Washington DC Trip

Well, we are back in DC with two kids now and it was worth coming yet again. The trip down was ok. We were supposed to leave in the morning, but Chris had to work a half day so I had to get everything ready with the kids. I didn’t have Alina nap in the morning hoping she would sleep most of the way down, she only napped about an hour in the car. We caught some traffic on the beltway and our GPS rerouted us through local streets, which was not too bad since it was during rush hour. Once we arrived at the hotel I unpacked and took care of Alina while Chris and Aiden went down to the pool.

Day 2 started out on a tired note as Alina was up most of the night teething. That meant we were all up most of the night except Aiden who can miraculously sleep through anything. It was amazing we got up and out by 10 am. We took the Metro into DC and headed over to the Air and Space Museum. I was a little cranky and tried to get myself in check so the trip would be fun for all. On our way over we strolled through the gardens at the Smithsonian Institute. It was warm and humid out so I suggested we make our way over to the museum and have lunch. Aiden and Chris took tons of pictures and Alina was perfectly content on Chris’s back in the backpack. The trainride back was nice and we had dinner at Olive Garden. We thought there was an ice cream place nearby, but the area had changed quite a bit since we had last been there. After driving around for a bit we stopped at a CVS and purchased ice cream and milk. I took Aiden to the pool afterwards and before long we were asleep.

Day 3 started on a much better note as Alina didn’t wake up too many times. We decided to head back to DC and explore the Museum of Natural History. We thought Aiden would like the dinosaur exhibit, but he much preferred the ocean exhibit. He could name almost every fish in the place. There was also a cool butterfly/bug exhibit he enjoyed. The highlight was when he got to hold a caterpillar. Alina’s big excitement was when she was released from the backpack to explore the discovery room the museum offered. She played with instruments and puppets. They both had a really great time and we were all enjoying the day. That is until later inthe afternoon when we left the museum and found another garden to explore. Aiden was upset when we let a stranger take a picture of all of us with “his” camera. He was not happy and was not very well behaved. He even started crying. It was getting late and after he dipped his feet in a huge fountain we felt a little better na dwe headed back to have some dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. No pool as that was one of the privileges he lost during the unpleasant part of the afternoon. Early to bed for all of us and a much better night’s sleep once again.

Last day and we were heading home. We originally planned on staying until Tuesday, but decided against it. After packing up the hotel room, we went to pick up some lunch and worked our way over to Great Falls Park. We ate, took pictures of the falls and then headed home. Not much traffic and we were finally back at the homestead. Successful trip and good for us to get away and reconnect with each other. The upside is that Chris has off one more day to make it even better!